8-week course / 2-hours per week
Note that some homework may be required if tasks are not completed within class time.
Working with stretch fabric / Professional techniques for lingerie elastic / Measuring for bras, briefs and swimwear / Identify and correct fitting problems
Students will be introduced to the use of stretch fabrics and learn to use them to their maximum potential; creating undergarments that fit as they should. Each student will personalise the Watson Bra & Pants, making it in a fabric of their choice.
Do I Need To Bring a Sewing Machine?
No, but you are welcome to if you wish. We have a Janome CXL301 sewing machine available for each student to use.
Although not essential, having a sewing machine at home is helpful for this course. If you don't own one already, we sell a range of Janome machines, and offer discounts on these to our students. Contact us for more details.
If you're planning on bringing your own machine, please contact us and let us know the make and model.
How Do I Pay My Balance?
If you booked your place with a deposit, you're balance is due no less than 14 days before your course begins. For instructions on how to pay please visit our balance payments page.
If you're thinking of cancelling your booking, for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can offer your place to someone on the waiting list. And also please have a look at our Cancellations & Refunds Policy on the FAQs page before doing this. Thanks.
How do I pay by Instalments?
If you booked your place under the Pay by Instalment plan, then you can use the payment button below to make your instalment payments. You'll be asked for some basic information, so that we can keep track of payments.
FABRICS & HABERDASHERY
Please note that no fabric purchases are necessary or even recommended before the first lesson of this course. The first session will include a comprehensive explanation on how to choose and pre-wash your fabrics.
Also note that, since some of the smaller notions required for making undergarments are quite specialised, we will be making these available for purchase at our studio, at a competitive price.
BASIC SUPPLIES LIST
These items are all required for this course. Each item is available for purchase at The Stitchery.
- Polyester thread to match main fabric choice - We sell Gutterman
- Fabric scissors - Fiskars are a brand that we recommend and sell.
- Ballpoint sewing machine needles
- Embroidery scissors or clips
- Seam ripper
- Seam gauge
- Bobbins (Janome compatible to work with our machines)
- French curve
- Water soluble pen for marking
These other items are also required. However, if you do not already own them yourself, they will be freely available to use at our studio:
- Self healing cutting mat
- Rotary cutter (28mm blade recommended)
- Pattern weights
- Card stock
- Fabric clips
// Week One //
- Anatomy of a bra – bra styles
- Sewing tools and supplies for bra making
- Taking measurements and choosing a pattern size
- Tracing and cutting the pattern
- Choosing stretch fabrics and elastic
- Pre-washing fabric
- Measuring stretch percentages
- Sewing machine needles and feet for working with stretch
// Week Two //
- Using a rotary cutter and mat
- Pattern and fabric layout
- Cutting and marking fabric
- Stitches for stretch fabric
- Intro to overlocker
- Making samples – sewing with stretch fabric and elastic
- Sewing pants: crotch and side seams
// Week Three //
- Basic alterations for fitting pants
- Sewing pants: Attaching elastic
- Stabilizers for knit fabric
- Sewing bra: Making the straps; Sewing band and cradle; Sewing cups
Homework: If alterations are necessary on your pants, sew another pair of pants at home for the instructor to assess at next lesson
// Week Four //
- Attaching neckline elastic
- Sewing cups to cradle
- Attaching hem elastic
- Attaching underarm elastic
// Week Five //
- Attaching straps
- Attach bra fastener (hook and eye closure)
- Finishing bra
// Week Six //
Understanding fit and order of pattern alterations:
- Adjusting the straps
- Altering the band
- Altering the cradle
- Altering cup – moving apex
- Adjust pattern based on alterations
Homework: Cut out adjusted bra pattern
// Week Seven //
- Making a bow
- Adding lace
- Dying elastic
- Sewing perfectly fitted bra
Homework: Work on bra at home so it’s ready to finish during last class
// Week Eight //
- Finishing bra
- Course evaluation
- What next? Bra pattern recommendations for next project