THE FITTING MASTERCLASS: EXTENDED EDITION
- 4-day workshop over two weekends; 10am - 4pm each day . August 26th/27th & September 2rd/3rd. Includes a half-hour lunch break. Refreshments provided throughout.
- Includes a one-to-one follow-up session (1 hour) with Cassandra after the workshop.
The first weekend will mainly focus on adjusting the bodice:
- Cup size and bust adjustments.
- Fitting the shoulders, including forward rotating shoulders.
- Shortening or lengthening the bodice.
- Determining the correct armhole size.
- Rounded back and sway back adjustments
On the second weekend students will have the option to work on:
- Fitting a sleeve
- Fitting a skirt
- Pattern drafting techniques for designing a top, based on the adjusted bodice.
Students will be using our in-house developed Fitting Pattern to create their toiles, learning additional techniques at each stage. Each student can expect the following outcomes:
- An understanding of how to fit a bodice to your own unique body shape.
- An understanding of how to fit either a sleeve, skirt or learn some basic pattern drafting to design your own top
- A completed toile or toiles, fitted to your unique shape and a paper pattern, adjusted accordingly. These can be used as templates for future projects.
- A better understanding of your own body shape.
- A sample book, with scaled samples of all the pattern adjustments you'll be learning, again as a reference for future projects.
- An e-book covering the course content.
What Do I Need to Bring?
Please bring the following to the workshop each day:
- A basic sewing kit - We've detailed what you should include below.
- Course specific tools - Detailed below.
- Fabric & Thread - Because this is a fitting class, you will be using cotton calico or alternatively a cheap cotton fabric. See details below.
- Tights and a vest - For the body mapping exercise.
- A packed lunch
BASIC SEWING KIT
For this course you'll need a basic sewing kit, with the essential items listed below. If you have any questions about these items please get in touch.
- Fabric scissors
- Seam ripper
- Dressmaking pins
- Hand sewing needles
- Thread - we stock a range of Gutermann thread.
- Sewing gauge
- Tape measure (not the kind that Plumbers use!)
- Temporary marker pens
- Paper scissors
COURSE SPECIFIC TOOLS
For the Fitting Masterclass you will also need some tools that are specific to pattern alterations. If you have any questions about these items please get in touch.
- French curve (available in metric or imperial)
- Dressmaking ruler (straight ruler)
- Fabric weights (optional)
- Serrated tracing wheel
- Carbon tracing paper
- Pencil, rubber and sharpener
- Tracing paper (for tracing patterns)
Do I Need To Bring a Sewing Machine?
No, but you are welcome to if you wish. We have a choice between Janome CXL301 sewing machines or Brother LS14 available for each student to use.
There is a limited number of the CXL301 computerised machines so these are offered on a first come first serve basis.
We also sell a range of Janome machines, and offer discounts on these to our students.
Fabrics & Haberdashery
For the Fitting Masterclass you will need fabric for your toile. We recommend using light to medium weight calico or a light to medium weight cotton of some kind. Choose something that is plain and light in colour.
During the first weekend we will be taking photographs of each student. These will be used during the second weekend to help determine your body type using a specially developed activity. So please bring tights or leggings and a vest along with you.