THE FITTING MASTERCLASS
- 2-day weekend workshop; 10am - 5pm both days. Includes a half-hour lunch break. Refreshments provided throughout.
- Plus a prep session; 7-9pm on a weekend prior to the course.
- Adjusting the bodice - Cup size and bust adjustments; fitting the shoulders, including forward rotating shoulders; shortening or lengthening; determining the correct armhole size; rounded back and sway back adjustments.
- Adjusting the sleeve - Determining correct amount of ease and ease distribution; sleeve cap height; bicep adjustments; lengthening and shortening.
Students will be using our in-house developed Fitting Pattern to create their toiles, learning additional techniques at each stage.
- A basic understanding of how to fit a bodice and sleeve to your own unique body shape.
- A completed toile or toiles, fitted to your unique shape and a paper pattern, adjusted accordingly. These can be used as templates for future projects.
- A sample book, with scaled samples of all the pattern adjustments you'll be learning, again as a reference for future projects.
- An e-book covering the course content.
What Do I Need to Bring?
Most of the supplies you need will be available at the studio for purchase, either on the day or by pre-ordering. These include:
- A basic sewing kit - We've detailed what you should include below.
- A few course specific tools - Detailed below. Available for pre-order if you don't own them already.
- Fabric & Thread - Because this is a fitting class, you will be using cotton calico or alternatively a cheap cotton fabric. See details below.
- Tights and a vest - For your fitting sessions.
How Do I Pay My Balance?
If you booked your place with a deposit, you're balance is due no less than 14 days before your course begins. For instructions on how to pay please visit our balance payments page.
If you're thinking of cancelling your booking, for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can offer your place to someone on the waiting list. And also please have a look at our Cancellations & Refunds Policy on the FAQs page before doing this. Thanks.
Fabrics & Haberdashery
For the Fitting Masterclass you will need fabric for your toile. We recommend using calico or a light to medium weight cotton of some kind.
You don't need to bring fabric, unless you specifically want to. During the prep session we'll be taking your measurements to figure out exactly how much fabric you need. You can then purchase calico from us or bring your own inexpensive fabric to the course.
At the prep session we will also be taking photographs of each student to help determine your body type. So please bring tights and a vest along with you.
Tools & Supplies
BASIC SEWING KIT
For this course you'll need a basic sewing kit, with the essential items listed below. If you don't own any of these items already, we stock them at the studio. You can purchase them at your prep session or on the first day of your course.
- Fabric scissors
- Seam ripper
- Dressmaking pins
- Hand sewing needles
- Thread - we stock a range of Gutermann thread.
- Sewing gauge
- Tape measure (not the kind that Plumbers use!)
- Temporary marker pens
- Paper scissors
COURSE SPECIFIC TOOLS
For the Fitting Masterclass you will also need some tools that are specific to pattern alterations. If you don't already own any of these, you can pre-order them here, either as individual items or as a complete Fitting Masterclass Tools Kit.
- French curve
- Dressmaking ruler
- 4 x fabric weights (note they come in 2-packs)
- Serrated tracing wheel
- Carbon tracing paper
- Pencil, rubber and sharpener
- Tracing paper (will be for sale at the studio)
A set of tools for the Fitting Masterclass, including:
- Wooden Handle Tracing Wheel by Hemline
- Dressmaking Ruler by Sew Easy (aka 'circle & scallop' ruler)
- French Curve by Sew Easy
- 2 x packs of 2 Fabric Weights by Sew Easy