Freelance Instructor Job Vacancy
// OVERVIEW //
Position: Sewing Instructor with specialism in knits, lingerie, swimwear and sportswear
Hours: Flexible hours, evenings and weekends. Our classes are generally between 6.30/7pm - 9/9.30pm evenings, and Weekends 10am - 5pm.
Start Date: TBD
Location: The Stitchery, 24 Sandyford Place, Glasgow, G3 7NG
// ABOUT US //
The Stitchery is the home of creative sewing classes in Glasgow’s West End. Practical courses and workshops taught by respected designers and artists. A place to make, to learn and to relax.
We offer a variety of sewing courses for beginners, intermediate and advanced sewers. Our regular courses cover a variety of subjects, including the basics of sewing, making clothes, and quilting. From month to month we also host a range of weekend and evening workshops on other sewing related topics.
// ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS //
- Experience in sewing clothes, with particular emphasis on sewing with knit fabrics and making undergarments, performance wear and swimwear.
- In-depth understanding of garment construction and clothes making techniques.
- Working knowledge of domestic sewing machines and overlockers.
- A passion for sewing and making clothes.
- An ability to communicate well and engage with different people.
- Ability to deliver a well-planned and time efficient class.
- A friendly, confident personality.
- Ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students with different abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences.
- Confidence in talking in front of a group, engaging attention and conveying knowledge in a clear and patient manner.
- Excellent organisational skills. Punctual and efficient.
- Representing The Stitchery by being professional and polite at all times.
- Deliver a class experience that ensures students enjoy their time at The Stitchery and brings them back for more.
// ABOUT THE ROLE //
We are seeking a highly motivated freelance sewing instructor to deliver courses and workshops on the following techniques at The Stitchery:
- Making undergarments
- Sports / performance wear
- Sewing with knit fabrics
The ideal candidate will have solid experience in garment construction, especially in the techniques listed above. They will have a passion for sewing and a desire to pass on that enthusiasm to our students. They will be an organised and efficient team-player, an extremely effective communicator, with strong people skills.
We are looking for a creative individual who is able to contribute to the success of the The Stitchery by developing top quality course content and teaching it to a high standard.
Candidates should be self-starters, able to work with initiative and contribute creatively.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- Devising an underwear / lingerie sewing course. Preparing samples, compiling course materials and creating a lesson plan.
- Devising possible weekend or one day workshops on sewing with knit fabrics, with emphasis on underwear / performance wear / swimwear.
- Teaching courses and workshops to beginner and intermediate level students. Instruction and demonstration of techniques.
- Welcoming students to The Stitchery and representing the business by being professional, friendly, tactful, approachable and patient.
// DESIRABLE EXTRAS //
- Teaching experience or qualifications.
- Commercial sewing experience.
- Knowledge of pattern cutting and pattern drafting.
- Experience sewing up garments from independent pattern companies.
// HOW TO APPLY //
Please email email@example.com with the following attachments (Word or PDF):
1) A covering letter (2 pages max) describing:
How you meet the essential requirements and any desirable extras of the post, with specific examples from your experience where relevant.
Why you would love the job.
2) Your CV outlining relevant skills and experience.